Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, June 1, 2009

15 weeks- Appointment update




I can't believe that I'm already 15 weeks! It's pure insanity. We had an appointment this morning that ended up being pretty boring. I was thinking, for some reason, that we were getting an ultrasound. No such luck. Bummer. We did get to hear the heartbeat, though, and that's a wonderful sound after no doctor's visits for 6 weeks! It seemed like it took forever to find it- I was so nervous! In reality, it only took a second after he put the wand thingy down. Bad news: I haven't gained any weight and I have hypotension due to low blood pressure. I also probably have a UTI. Woo-hoo! I got a diagnosis confirmation of the hypotension when I passed out when we were making our next appointment. If there's a place to do it, I guess... My doctor was not a fan and put me on a plan where I must eat every 2 hours with protein in every meal. That will hopefully help with the weight gain, as well. I was supposed to get my AFP blood test today, but we obviously postponed that. We'll be heading back next week for that and to discuss what's going on/see if I do in fact have a UTI. I fear I'm moving towards high-risk. :( My blood pressure was 80/40, which apparently is super low. I need to do some research on that. 

In good news, though, we planned our BIG ultrasound- June 30th!! I've extended the voting poll on the right to show that date. I'm so thrilled. We'll be getting a DVD to document it all, too! When we were asked if we wanted to do the anatomy scan, I don't think I'd ever heard J respond "yes" so quickly! The countdown is officially on!

My Baby

Your baby is already mugging for the camera as she practices all sorts of facial expressions, such as squinting, yawning and grimacing, which will come in handy when you introduce her to pureed spinach. Check out what else is happening in utero:

You're just getting comfortable with being a new mom, but you're actually on the road to being a grandma. If your baby is a girl, her uterus is fully developed and the ovaries already hold primitive egg cells. Did that just make you feel a thousand years old, or what?

Your baby's skin is still translucent and wrinkly, not unlike an old man's, but more fat will soon accumulate under the dermas to plump her out. If you could peer inside right now, you'd be able to see all of her veins under her skin. And speaking of veins, your baby's heart now pumps about 25 quarts of blood per day, and she hasn't even seen Orlando Bloom yet! Also, her eyes are now locked and loaded at their final destination, facing forward rather than to the sides. (Whew!)

This is the week women get an amniocentesis, if their doc recommends it. In addition to supplying doctors with a boatload of info about the baby's health, amnios are also more than 99 percent accurate in determining what version of baby you'll be having. So if you want to know and you're getting an amnio, now's a great time to find out for sure.

Your baby weighs about 3 ounces this week and measures between 4 and 5 inches, about the length of your mascara.

No comments: