Friday, May 4, 2012

Gavin's Birth Story

It's more a story of delivery than labor and delivery- our jokes of having a super fast labor ended up being completely true!

I started feeling the contractions on Sunday (April 29th) evening, although there wasn't any regularity or intensity to them. Over the next few days, they ebbed and flowed and managed to completely annoy the heck out of me. Such torture thinking that you were going to "go" at any moment. I could tell that they were working my cervix, just as my prodromal labor with Jeffrey had. It was interesting to guess how far dilated I was, but I'll never know! Thursday, 5/3, I woke up feeling off and pretty gross, and I had a clue that something was going down that day. The contractions were getting to be more intense, as well, but there was nothing to complain about. Jeffrey and I headed off to the last MOPS of the year and it was there that I convinced myself that this was happening. They were picking up in intensity and getting closer together (probably about 10 minutes apart). I went to the restroom and noticed the bloody show. I texted Jony to come home (which he already was; in a bizarre chance of circumstances, his job had kept him working from home that morning) and called my parents so that my mom knew she was going to be expected over sometime later that day. I got home and ate lunch (Subway sandwich, if you're interested) and started tallying the contractions. I could tell they were getting closer together and were very much picking up. I had 12 between 1 and 2, which is when my midwife said to contact her. I still wasn't sure it was going to be that soon since they weren't THAT bad yet, but we called her and she was going to head over after doing a blood draw on another client. At about 3ish, I had to use the restroom. I labored there for awhile and then asked Jony to text to see if I could get in the birth pool. Without waiting, I just did and started feeling the need to push pretty soon thereafter. Neither the midwife or apprentice had arrived yet due to traffic. I tried to hold off, but he was coming. I got into a squat on the side of the pool, and he was out in two pushes. Jony caught him and then handed him to me after I turned back to sit down. I'm pretty sure my water broke with the first push. It was a total shock, as I can't pinpoint when I entered transition. It was so obvious with Jeffrey, but it must have been super fast this time. The apprentice arrived just as he was out, so that was good timing.

Since he came out so quickly, he wasn't able to have the squeeze to get all the mucous out of his throat. So, he was a bit blue. The cord was still pulsing, however, so it wasn't too urgent. With some bulb syringe squeezes, we finally heard that cry. He ended up with a 7/9 Apgar reading. Jony lifted me from the pool to the bed (which is no easy feat when you're bleeding and still have a baby attached to a placenta that's still inside you), which is when the midwife arrived. They cut the cord (Jony didn't feel the need to do it since he'd already caught him, lol), and I finally delivered the placenta. This is when things got a little shaky for me since I have such low blood pressure. I was really dizzy, and it took a few hours to get me all regulated. I didn't lose too much blood- actually very little, but it just affected me a lot. I took some iron, drank some orange juice, and ate as much as I could of some spinach. During this time, I also had to get stitched up from a 1st degree tear and, unfortunately, had to have a catheter since I couldn't go to the bathroom. After a few hours, I was basically stabilized (as much as you can be after giving birth), and I was able to go to the bathroom, sit up on my own and even walk a bit without getting dizzy.

As for Jeffrey, he was right there. When he went down for his nap, I was still pretty normal. He woke up just before 4pm, so he got to witness the most exciting parts! He was somewhat concerned about me since I was pretty vocal (another big difference from Jeffrey's birth!), but my mom reassured him that I was alright and just working hard. I talked to him between contractions, as well. Once I was pushing, he was standing right behind me (not in the pool) cheering me on! There's nothing more special to a mom than to hear her oldest yelling "That's my baby brother! My baby brother is coming!" when he saw his younger brother being born. He was the world's best doula :) He is absolutely in love with Gavin and just loves and dotes on him as much as we'll let him.

It was an insane few hours, but everything is just perfect now. Gavin is an amazing nurser and knew exactly what he was doing, and he's been such a calm and loving presence in our house over the last 24 hours. I am so blessed and amazed at my new little family.


lady gray said...

WONDERFUL story, mama! thank you so much for sharing!

Danielle said...

Vera, what a wonderful, wonderful story!!!! I have to say that as soon as you mentioned Jeffery being there and such a big support is when my tears started flowing. I couldn't be more happy for you. I'm so glad you had such an awesome birth experience!

Lil'Misa said...

Beautiful story Vera! I love it. I love how Jeffrey was there to cheer you on, amazing!

Congrats to you and your family of boys.

Kismet21 said...

You rock. Seriously. This is amazing story and I am just so glad you are okay and can't wait to meet your family of FOUR!

Kristin said...

WOW. that's insanely amazing!!!!